The fence is one of the simplest types of fencing to install. It is relatively easy to fence off a garden or other land using the chain-link fence and this type of fence has a long lifespan (50 years or more). In this article you can read what materials you need and in what stages it is better to do the job.
• Posts and support posts
• Ropes, connecting wire, tension bars
• Clamping brackets (in the case of round posts) or tensioners (in the case of posts of another shape)
• Cement, gravel, sand
• Shovel/spade, trowel
• Spirit level, spirit level pipe or long metal ruler
• Iron pliers
Determine the length of the posts
You can determine the length of the posts by adding the height of the fence to one-third of the length. For a garden at a height of 180cm, you need a post length of 180cm + (1/3 x 180) = 240cm.
Step 1: Preparatory work and indicate benchmarks
• Level the basement in places where the chain-link fence is to be installed.
• Mark the places where the corner posts are to be installed using small stakes.
• Tighten a rope between the small stakes. This makes it easier for you to determine the position of the different posts. We must keep a distance of about 2 to 2.5 meters between the different posts.
Take the boundary of your plot (the property line) into account when determining the position of your chain link fence. Thus, you avoid possible problems with the neighbors or the municipality. If you and your neighbor share the cost of the fence, you can put it on the common line.
Step 2: Install the fence posts
1. Dig a hole for each post with a depth of 50-60 cm. The diameter of the hole should be about thirty centimeters. The support post which is mounted to the wire side is most often installed sloping below 45 degrees on the corner post. You can put a reinforcing stone in the hole of the support post. The way to attach the support post to the corner post depends on the type of fence.
2. You can determine the height of the posts between the first and the last post by increasing the height of the chain-link fence by about 7 centimeters. Using a wire or a spirit level pipe (a transparent pipe filled with water), you can make all the posts quite high.
3. Insert the posts into the ground and pour concrete around them. You can make concrete yourself by mixing one part sand, two parts gravel, and one part cement. It is advisable to let the concrete dry for at least two days after pouring. The posts between the two end posts should not be fixed into the ground using concrete, but concrete can provide strength for the posts. Whether concrete should be used for these posts also depends on the type of chain link fence.
Step 3: Install the wire mesh fence (supplied in rolls)
1. Wire mesh fences supplied on rolls should generally be stabilized with ropes. You need at least three horizontal ropes. You put the lower thread to a height of about 20 cm from the ground. You put the next thread 50 cm higher etc. Put clamps on the corner posts. If it is a long span, you need to attach clamping brackets to the posts in the middle. You can also make use of the binding wire. You need to tie it to the first corner post using the tie wire.
2. Unroll the screen to the next corner post or end post.
3. Remove the first vertical wire from the wire mesh and tie the ropes to the clamp rod. Turn this until the wire mesh is tight. There are attachment systems that make use of the staples that are attached to the corner posts.
4. The wire mesh should be installed 5 cm from the natural ground and 2 cm from the top side of the post.
5. Using the loose wires, you can attach the screen to the posts between the two end posts.
Interesting tips for installing a chain-link fence
Level the posts or put them on the same ground level?
You can use a metal ruler to put the posts at the correct height. Place the spirit level on the post to make sure the posts are inserted the same depth into the ground. If the ground is not perfectly horizontal, it is best to follow the ground level to avoid a somewhat bizarre end result.
Ask your neighbors for written permission
To put a chain-link fence up to a height of two meters, you do not need a building permit in most cases. However, it is better to inform you in advance at the municipality. There may be local regulations or specific subdivision rules.
If you want to put your chain link fence on the common border, it is important to discuss it with your neighbors and put their agreement on paper. So you can indicate that your neighbors agreed if there is a conflict later. A verbal agreement is valid, but difficult to prove in court. If you and your neighbors cannot come to an agreement, you must put the chain link fence completely on your own property.
Wire mesh fence price
If you put your chain-link fence yourself, you will pay around $ 40 per running meter or more. If you have your chain-link fence installed, the price starts from around $ 72 per running meter.